With the Fourth of July right around the corner, the looming dilemma of choosing clothing for the holiday weekend quickly arises. Often, it can be difficult to show patriotism, while remaining chic and fashion-forward. From a navy gingham shift to a pair of red tassel earrings, there are plenty of ways to be festive, regardless of your weekend destination. Take a look at some of my favorite patriotic pieces and silhouettes for the holiday weekend and explore my tips on how to style them.
- Red, White & Blue: Choose Two. To honor America, most people opt to cover themselves in any and all shades of red, white and blue. With the intention of elevating your Independence Day style, try choosing two colors from our nation’s trifecta.
- Denim, Denim, Denim. A pair of white skinny jeans, a distressed jean skirt, a pair of dark wash flare jeans—the options are endless. Any wash or shade of denim is sure to give your 4th of July outfit, a laid-back patriotic vibe.
- Pop of Color. Summer whites are always in style, and luckily the hue is one of our nation’s colors. Consider an all-white ensemble and use accessories to add a pop of color. Perhaps, try a pair of white flare jeans, a white blouse and blue tassel earrings or a white frock with a red lipstick.
- Let Your Flag Fly. While it may usually be best to save the most patriotic symbol for children’s clothing, using the American flag sparingly in accessories can work—with the right styling. Look for understated accessories, such as a scarf or a clutch.
- Play with Patterns. If you prefer inspiration from American flag rather than actually wearing it, play with its two dominant patterns—stars and stripes. A navy sweater with a singular white star would shine, it paired with white denim jeans; a red and white striped tote bag would be the added spark to an all-white outfit.