What’s better than a bargain? As a fashion-minded yet budget-conscious college student, I often find myself at stores such as Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off 5th, Marshalls, and, of course, my favorite place to shop- TJ Maxx.
Often, my friends are surprised to discover that a certain item I am wearing is actually from TJ Maxx. They usually say, “Wow! I need to go there with you next time!” It’s like my friends think that I have some secret way of sifting through their crowded racks. Although I really do enjoy “the hunt” for something unique and affordable at TJ Maxx, here are my tips to being a successful Maxxinista!
- Be selfish. If I am being honest, I have my most success at TJ Maxx, when I go by myself or with one other person (read: my mom) who doesn’t want to actually shop side by side. Looking throughout the store by yourself frees you from any distraction and let’s you focus on what you like!
- Have a game plan. Often times I go into TJ Maxx without one specific thing that I am looking for, but I still develop a game plan to keep me from getting overwhelmed and spending too much money. I start by asking myself what I might actually be in need of at the moment. Do I have enough workout gear to wear to class each day? Answer: I could always use more of that, so I definitely check out the activewear section. Dresses? Answer: Not something I see myself wearing in the next few months, but I’ll at least pass through to see if anything catches my eye.
- Not totally sure? Take it home to try on. The lighting in TJ Maxx dressing rooms can be harsh, so if there is ever a garment that I am not completely sold on, I buy it, to take home and try on with my undergarments, shoes and accessories in my room, where there is better lighting. If you decide you actually don’t like the piece, returns are TJ Maxx are super simple.
- Peruse Rent the Runway section. This piece of advice can vary depending on the TJ Maxx location. For example, two of the TJ Maxx stores by my home in the D.C. area has an expansive Rent the Runway selection; whereas, the choices are a bit slimmer at the TJ Maxx in Athens, GA. However, be sure to sit through these garments carefully, as you can find notable brand-name designers at such a steal! Pro tip: the Rent the Runway garments has a purple tag, rather than a white tag like the other merchandise.
- Don’t skip the shoe section! Seriously, some of my favorite pairs of shoes are from TJ Maxx. I have scored $60 Jack Rogers and $15 Catherine Malandrinos, as well as some unique shoes that I maybe would not have found elsewhere.
- Don’t get sucked in while you are waiting in line. TJ Maxx has a special talent for reading your mind when it comes to the products placed at the point-of-sale aisle leading to the cash register. Pumpkin scented candle? Gotta have it. A new shade of nail polish? Well, it’s only $3.99! Unless it is a product you truly will use often, don’t let yourself fall into this trap!
- Shop often. One of the biggest reasons I have success at TJ Maxx is the fact that I stop by the store, bi-weekly if not weekly. TJ Maxx gets weekly shipments so if you choose a day of the week that works for you and always go that same day, you are bound to find something new each time!
Happy shopping, fellow Maxxinistas!